WP-CMS Post Control plugin
Requires at least: WordPress 2.9
Tested up to: WordPress 3.0-beta
Current latest version: v2.21
Download: Latest version from official WordPress plugin site
Post Control gives you complete control over your write options for every user level/role in WordPress. It not only allows you to hides unwanted items like custom fields, trackbacks, revisions etc. but also gives you a whole lot more control over how WordPress deals with creating content.
Simplify the and customise the write post and page areas of WordPress and just show the controls you need. Great for de-cluttering – do you really need those pingback and trackback options… now you can decide what users can see and use!
You can also disable autosaves, revisions and disable the Flash uploader.
New to version 2 is the ability to hide different items for each user role – administrator, editor, author and even contributor.
You can control the display of the following post options for each role level:
- Post Tags
- Post Categories
- Post Excerpt
- Post Trackbacks
- Post Custom Fields
- Post Discussion
- Post Comment & Ping Options
- Post Author
You can control the display of the following page options:
- Page Custom Fields
- Page Discussion
- Page Comment & Ping Options
- Page Attributes
You can control the display of the following global post/page options:
- Post/Page Media upload
- Disable WordPress Autosave
- Disable WordPress Post Revisions
- Disable flash uploader and just use browser uploader
- NEW IN 2.2 – Control number of post revisions saved!
First time install
You can use the built-in WordPress add plugin system to install Post Control once logged into your site, it’s quick and easy!
If you want to manually upload and install:
1. Get the latest version of this plugin at the official WordPress plugin directory.
2. Decompress .zip file, retaining file structure.
3. Upload directory wp-cms-post-control and all containing files to your plugins directory – normally /wp-content/plugins/
4. Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress
5. Configure options through Settings > Post Control and Settings > Post Control Core
Update existing install
The automatic plugin update feature of WordPress works fine with this plugin. If your server supports it you should certainly use this as it’s the easiest way to keep your plugins up-to-date.
IMPORTANT When you upgrade, you should go to the options page and re-save your Post Control options to refresh the settings.
Firstly – MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE LATEST VERSION OF THE PLUGIN!
If you have any problems, please leave a comment below and I will address it as quickly as possible. Serious bugs and WordPress version upgrades are prioritized – new feature requests are down to what my clients (and I!) need as I have very little resource available on-top of my freelance project commitments (that pay the bills!) and other open source commitments (which don’t!)